Saturday, February 10, 2007

Saving Private Ryan


General Marshall: My Dear Mrs. Ryan, it’s with the most profound sense of joy that I write to inform you your son, Private James Ryan, is well and, at this very moment, on his way home from European battlefields. Reports from the front indicate James did his duty in combat with great courage and steadfast dedication even after he was informed of the tragic loss your family has suffered in this great campaign to rid the world of tyranny and oppression. I take great pleasure in joining the secretary of war, the men and women of the United States Army, and the citizens of a grateful nation in wishing you good health and many years of happiness with James at your side. Nothing, not even the safe return of a beloved son, can compensate you or the thousands of other American families who have suffered great loss in this tragic war. And I might share with you some words which have sustained me through long, dark nights of peril, loss and heartache. And I quote, “I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Abraham Lincoln.” Yours very sincerely and respectfully, George C. Marshall, General, Chief Of Staff. This is the whole part of the message said by George C. Marshall to Mrs. Ryan that I’ve taken from the movie. I find it very downhearted and think that it probably would give you some idea; the same idea I have, that war is absolutely good for nothing.

Saving Private Ryan, directed by Steven Spielberg, basically shows the cruelty, loss, as well as the sacrifice taking place during the World War II through the eyes of Captain John H. Miller (Tom Hanks), who was ordered to go save and bring back Private James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon) home since he had already lost three brothers during the war and the government didn’t want his mother to suffer any more. (losing three sons is more than enough I believe!) Many of Captain Miller’s soldiers died during the journey and the captain himself died at the very end. Besides all the depressing parts, the movie itself is very interesting. Spielberg did really a great job by making it so realistic. It’s like you could feel all the gunshots running through you right at the same time as all the soldiers felt in the movie. The blood, the corpses, the gushing intestines all looked so real. I even jumped once when the German soldiers appeared and fired the M-16 at American soldiers. I remember I went to watch this movie by myself when it first came out in the theater years ago. How brave! LOL I was really petrified. Had never seen this kind of cruel-but-real movie before by that time. It’s really good, as worth spending almost 3-hour time watching. Watch it so you’d know that I’m not just babbling.

This part has nothing to do with the movie but I just feel like sharing it with you guys. LOL There’s also Vin Diesel starring in this movie, just so you know. Believe it or not, he’s nothing like in the movie XXX I have seen. He was someone far from the word “muscular”. Couldn’t recognize him myself but I just saw his name on the casting list. Hahaha

4 comments:

Cecil Hill said...

A very nicely done blog, but then that is what I expect from you always.

War is hell. That is not just a neat sounding slogan. War may be hell, but there are things in this life that are worse. One, for example, would be forced to live under Nazi Germany's evil empire. Hitler is the cause of over 50 million dead. He should have been stopped in the early 1930s except for those people who refused to see the threat.

War is hell. Those words are easily stated. But there are things that are worse. Being forced to live under Sharia Law as the Islamofascists would force us to do.

Patrick Henry - Give me liberty or give me death.

We westerners go to war to preserve our freedom. War my be hell but taking my freedom from me will cause you some special hell for yourself.

The movie was breathtakingly realistic. D-Day was a complete screw up. Every phase of it was screwed up. Does that sound like Iraq today? Maybe our guys on Omaha Beach should have cut and run as is suggested in Iraq today. Maybe we should have to study German with a gun pointed at our head instead of English with money in our pocket.

War is hell but war is not useless. Ask the Kurds in Iraq. Ask the Chinese under Japanese domination in WW2.

Saving Private Ryan shows war as it really is. But then, no one really knows what it would be like living under Nazi domination, do they?

I choose war over chains any day.

Great blogging as you well know.

CharLene said...

give me the movie!

Cecil Hill said...

I disagree with Ms. Piyapat but, as Voltaire stated, I would be willing to die to allow Ms. Piyapat to have the right to disagree with me. Such is the freedom that only us Americans truly enjoy. Maybe that is why we are so willing to go to war to preserve ours and give others this freedom.

Love ya Ms. Piyapat and your disagreement with me makes me love ya even more!

Not very Thai of you though :-).

You are definitely ready for a Masters program in the West (preferably in the US where you can stretch that magnificant brain of yours to its limits).

This blogger is good, isn't he?

Tue said...

it seems like a great movie u watched!.....i think if i have time ill try 2 get it 2 watch myself