Amistad tells the true story of the Spanish slave ship, La Amistad, meaning The Freiendship (I know some Spanish, see? lol), that is bringing black slaves to America. On the way, however, a brave African warrior, Cinque, leads a bloody revolt. Only two members of the crew survive, begging for their lives with promises to sail the ship to Africa, but instead sail to America. There La Amistad is overtaken by the Navy and, when the survivors tell of the revolt, the slaves are imprisoned. Who really owns theses slaves? Where did they really come from, Cuba or Africa? Was it murder or self-defense? The judge has to decide. The freedom of 53 Africans isn't the only thing at stake. Heavy politics are involved, as Martin Van Buren's re-election campaign may be ruined if the ruling is unfavorable. It takes an ex-President, a struggling lawyer, and the courage and truth Cinque has to argue on the behalf of the slaves.This movie is rated-R so you should be aware of some (many actually) violent scenes as well as the strong words. I remember watching it alone when I was young(er) seeing slaves being dragged down into the bottom of the ocean, tortured, chopped, killed, you name it. I couldn’t believe human being could be that savage to one another. Watch the movie and you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s really depressing but awesome and worth watching I’m giving you a guarantee.
2 comments:
True story. True story. Ain't no Antebellum crap in this movie. True story.
If it did not bother you, then there is something wrong with you.
Tells it like it was and that is not pretty.
Once again, ya gotta love a country that can be honest with itself even when the honesty is absolutely ugly.
Oh, I forgot. There is one movie I am on the lookout for and it is worse than this movie. I watched it when it came out and it blew me away for its realism. Do not believe one can find it in print.
Mandingo
If you thought Amistad was realistic, watch this movie! Shut you down right away and make you hate all us white guys for sure.
Post a Comment